What is WhatsApp Web?
The official computer based version of the mobile app, WhatsApp Messenger which allows the exchange of messages is the WhatsApp web. The creation of the web version expands the choices of users of WhatsApp as they can keep chatting no matter what device they are using.
Supported Devices : It is not yet available on every device except for Android, Blackberry 10, Windows Phone 8.0 and 8.1, Nokia S60 and S40, iPhone 8.1+ and EVO.
Requirements : It’s accessible only if your pc has a chrome browser, Mozilla Firefox or Opera browsers and it has to be the latest version of WhatsApp on your device because it’s only when you update the app you will find the option in your settings. For you to activate the web version, you must have an existing active account because you cannot sign up for a new account on the web version.
Whatsapp Web QR code
QR codes are 2D barcodes that can store more information than the traditional 1D barcode. WhatsApp uses QR codes for identification and authentication as the codes are dynamic in nature, they change after seconds.
How to use Whatsapp Web on PC?
- To do the QR code verification, firstly, you go through your browser to web.whatsapp.com. On the screen you
will see a QR code, don’t forget that it changes fast.
- After that, you will open the WhatsApp on your phone, click on ‘more options’ on the top right corner, then click on ‘WhatsApp web’. With the scanner, scan the WhatsApp QR code on your PC to complete the authentication process.
- After this, you will be able to view and continue your chats on your computer.
- For you to be able to use the web version, it needs to have a connection with your phone as it uses your phone to connect and send messages, it remains active as long as your phone is connected to the internet. This means that it uses your phone data connection and once your device is not connected, it disconnects automatically.
Other notes :
- No one can tell if you are chatting from your phone or using a PC, as everything remains the same, the one mark for sent, two marks for delivered and the turning of the mark into blue to indicate that the message has been read.
- As for attachments, you can view all attachments sent to you and send photographs too. You can view your attachments later only if you download them.
- The web version is slightly different from the mobile version as you cannot forward or delete messages, create or leave existing groups on your PC, you will need your phone for that.
As earlier mentioned, the PC version is slightly different from the mobile version. For instance, it is the search function that allows you to start new chats and filter old ones. Unlike the mobile app that just a click on the new message icon to select the contact you want to chat with.
Aside from the above observation, the web version helps you stay connected when you switch devices and still want to stay connected with your friends on WhatsApp.